21 June 2006

The Whining Stranger's Song of the Day

21 June 2006



"Fatbackin'" by The Fatback Band (from the album People Music, 1973)

Again, lest you think this visit home is all weltschmerz and wist, here's a bit of breakbeat levity to help you shake your groove thang late into the evening on this, the longest day of the year. Like the Deodato track I highlighted earlier this month, the Fatback Band make funkified reference to Richard Strauss on this Brooklyn block party favorite from the early days of hip hop and graffiti culture. I listened to it in the car yesterday with the windows down as I cruised again through the streets of my old hometown. Summers in the city for me will always be the sound of great music heard in tantalizing snippets out of car windows before being dopplered away when traffic lights change from red to green.

No comments: