01 June 2006

The Whining Stranger on Film

Embarrassing Movies We Like



The other night, chilling on a friend's patio for Memorial Day, someone introduced this as a topic of conversation: "What's an embarrassing movie that you actually really like?" As proof that I'm not a complete snob when it comes to my cinephilia, here's one of mine:

Bright Lights, Big City (1988)

This movie inspired me, as an undergrad creative writing major, to sneak into nightclubs underage wearing one of my dad's sportsjackets and ties with blue jeans. While I was never a coke-sniffin' fact checker for The New Yorker, I did fancy myself a world-weary urban scribe in the [snort, laugh] Michael J. Fox mode. Jay McInerney's novel, on which this is based, is of course much better for its laconic, witty narrator, but something about this film always keeps me entertained when I stumble upon it late at night. I could try and save face by pointing out the Donald Fagen score, but really, Michael J. Fox wins me over. Go, Alex P. Keaton!

2 comments:

Valancy Jane said...

*looks to the left*
*looks to the right*

*blushes*

I have to admit. I like George of the Jungle.

I know.

I know.



But I do.

The Whining Stranger said...

With Brendan Fraser?

Whoa. :)