17 June 2006

Musings

Road Trip: Days 5 and 6

Landed home yesterday, just in time for a quick dinner with my mother, and then onto the nightlife to whoop it up with my turning-26 younger sister. A long night of catching up with people, and imbibing libations. I'm trying not to be too melancholy over the For Sale sign on my mom's front lawn. At least the city's still the same. Even the dog twitched his nose upon recognizing the familiar scent of pollution in the air. But it's good to be back among people who all cheer for the right sports teams too.

A family barbecue today and then on to a bachelor party tonight for my friend who marries next week. I should buy some Tylenol at this rate. Will need it.

3 comments:

Paperback Writer said...

I think I would freak out if my parents ever decided to sell the old homestead...

Liz said...

My parents sold their/my/our home two years ago. After they moved out but before the closing, I walked through every room and took pictures and said goodbye. I'm even tearing up to write this about it now! Wow. But what I realized, crying and taking the pictures, was that this home wasn't mine or my parents' anymore because they weren't there anymore. I remember standing in the kitchen and for the first time it felt empty and sad instead of welcoming.

The house was nothing without them, and I knew then that their new home would one day feel like a home to me, too, even though I don't live there. And it did.

The Whining Stranger said...

Thanks for the comments all.

I'll try to be encouraged, EDW, about the possibility of seeing another place as a kind of home. It breaks my heart though, at this point, to imagine not coming home to this house. It's really a place that contributed so much to who I am--the crummy, big-hearted neighborhood; the quirky house with so many oddities; the memories that remain...