17 June 2006

The Whining Stranger's Song of the Day

17 June 2006



"Home at Last" by Steely Dan (from the album Aja, 1977)

An Homeric epic reconfigured as lush pop song. Fagen and Becker keep the main narrative of the Odyssey intact--the long exile, the welcome return--and evoke one of the poem's finest images over and over again in the chorus, with Fagen-as-lead-vocalist-as-Ulysses lashed to the mast, long after the danger of the siren song is over.

A perfect song to commemorate a homecoming almost a week in the driving.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Good song. BTW, I finally figured out the title. Took me long enough! And, really, it was so obvious - the hints are all around. Like this post!

The Whining Stranger said...

Glad that somebody finally clued into the Steely Dan allusion in the title of the blog.

But yes, it's obvious by now, I think, that I'm a SD/Fagen maniac. This song is in my Top 10 from their ouevre. Fagen did it live when I saw him in concert in March.