10 June 2006

The Whining Stranger on Politics and Current Events

Whither Humanity?

Does anybody still remember the President's outrage back in late March of 2003, when Al-Jazeera ran footage of American POWs being interviewed by their Iraqi captors? I could understand that outrage, even though the Monkey-in-Chief and I rarely see eye to eye on substantial matters. I was angered by the constant showing of footage of obviously terrified young soldiers. I don't like the idea of people's pain being shown in an obsessive, would-make-Don-DeLillo-shudder media spectacle loop.

But where is that outrage over the constant media exposure of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's battered corpse this week? Where was it when American news media gave us an eyeful of Uday and Qusay Hussein's annihilated bodies in the summer of 2003?

Why is it so easy for me to find photos of the Hussein boys, post-autopsy, merely by typing "Saddam's sons" into Google/images.

I don't need to see it.
You don't need to see it.

2 comments:

Paperback Writer said...

I don't remember where I read it but the same media coverage isn't there for hurt commrads (there I go again, misspelling stuff!). For instance, Bob Woodruff and the other woman reporter who got seriously hurt.

You'd think they'd be splashed all over the place.

Or maybe the media is trying to take care of their own.

Who knows.

The Whining Stranger said...

The media should take care of everybody and not show us any more mutilated faces.

Report the news through critical thinking and research, not creepy images, thanks.