01 June 2006

Musings

My Favorite Words



I love words. I do. I know in our current anti-intellectual climate, as the barbarians roll through in pick-up trucks, those of us who like to nurture our vocabularies are constantly depicted as effete, elitist, irrelevant. But I really do love words. And not just esoteric words, but words from all ranges of the spectrum, from the high to the low, as it were.

Here are some of my favorites. Comment with your own!

weltschmerz [with regrets to dear Finola Hackett, who surely understands the meaning of the word now]
ostensibly
jackass
ubiquitous
rats [or alternately, "drat!"]
prestidigitation
sesquipedalianism
fuck [with regrets to my mother who probably wishes my eloquence was more consistent]
zeitgeist
wistful
dig [as a verb; as in, "I dig John Coltrane."]
vicissitude
assuage [though I never pronounce it with confidence in conversation]
malaise
puckish
dolorous
pulchritudinous
kirschwasser [as you can see, I have a weakness for German words]
hirsute [makes me giggle]
karma

6 comments:

Thérèse said...

A few of my favourite words:

Shenanigans
I'm right
Naturally
Chemicals
Asshole
Theresenese
Suspect


Hee.

Paperback Writer said...

All good words.

I used to keep a list of words that made me happy. Unfortunately, I lost that list a long time ago.

I may have to start keeping a new list of words that make me happy.

Liz said...

Effulgent. Rarely used, if ever. I just like it.

The Whining Stranger said...

Therese and EDW are having lunch. The waiter, dressed in a glimmering silver suit, screws up their orders and treats them rudely all through lunch.

Finally, at the same time, they say, "Effulgent asshole."

And laugh.

Kat said...

Hm, one of my New Year's resolutions this year was to start using the word "pandemonium" more -- I should get to getting on that.

The Whining Stranger said...

Kat,
Name a sentence in which you've used that word to date.