02 June 2006

The Whining Stranger on Sport

A Brief Announcement from Detroit Pistons' Coach Flip Saunders



"Hi. I'm Flip Saunders. I inherited what was clearly the finest team in the NBA's Eastern Conference. I took a championship-caliber, defensive-minded team, and added an average three or four point surplus to our offensive total per regular season game. Then, in the playoffs, when--as every sports fan who's ever listened to any color commentator ever knows--defense truly wins championships, I let a defensive-minded, championship-caliber team dissipate into a confused-looking, finger-pointing bunch of whining incompetents. As Kurt Vonnegut wrote, 'So it goes.' Anyway, I enjoyed coaching in Detroit, but I hear there might be a vacancy soon at the helm of the New York Knicks. Hasta la vista, Motor City."

No comments: