18 May 2006

The Whining Stranger's Big List of Ultimate Fetish Objects and Talismans

Part 1:

Now I know good Buddhist practice discourages against fixation on the material. I know that equanimity forbids my coveting things. But there are some things the WS can't resist. This list will document those objects that weaken my Buddhist resolve.



The Adidas SL-76 running shoe, in green and yellow.

Designed for runners in the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal. Bold in its colors, but with something of an I'm-about-function-not-style feel in its workaday black laces. I drove my partner crazy two summers ago trying on retro sneaker after retro sneaker on a shopping spree before I decided to buy these. (She's patient to have indulged my fussiness.) At first I didn't even have the guts to wear them out of the house. I mean, they are loud. They do advertise. Now, though, they're the official shoe of my casual summers, when sandals just won't do.

2 comments:

fourth_fret said...

those shoes are fantastic!

they remind me a little bit of samba classics (soccer), only with a lot more attitude.

Liz said...

OMG, you are a hipster! See, this should have been the first post I read. ;-)