22 May 2006

The Whining Stranger on Politics and Current Events

A Very Brief Rant About Democracy...



Amigos, fellow residents of this democratic land. Democracy isn't something you should only be concerned about one November day every four years. Democracy doesn't just matter when gas prices creep above your comfort level. Democracy doesn't mean, "I voted for my guy and I trust him to do the job." Democracy doesn't = "Well, it's worse in other countries so I should be happy with what I've got here." Democracy doesn't suggest that it's impolite to state what you believe at a dinner party because "talking about politics is bad form." Democracy doesn't just mean you get cheap beer and the freedom to watch American Idol and buy crappy clothes at Old Navy that fall apart after a few washings.

Wake up.
Wake the fuck up!
Amen.
Back to my frothy, not-so-cheap beer.

No comments: