20 May 2006

Musings

The Secret Language of Friendship



I have been blessed with many close friendships over my 32 years. I am especially blessed to have had a core group of friends with whom I remain tight, even as fate and lifepaths have scattered us geographically. Making dinner tonight, I was thinking about the various catchphrases I have with various friends: those weird, ostensible non-sequitirs that actually constitute a lingua franca for our shared memories. Here are some of my favorites. They'll mean nothing to you, but they resonate with certain people in my life whom I hold dear.

"Papi's been poisoned!"
"I'll see you tonight, I'll see you tomorrow, and I'll see you tomorrow night."
"Go fuck an iceberg." [with thanks to John Vernon]
"That's not funny, [name withheld]. I really I do have a pee problem."
"In Ann Arbor by 10 a.m. Beautiful!"
"Nice. Really nice."

No comments: