30 May 2006

The Whining Stranger on Books and Reading

What to read, what to read?



On the heels of the other day's post about all-time great summer reads, I am finding myself undecided about what this summer's big book should be. I confess I'm not a huge fan of some of the subgenres of big novels--e.g. 18th century and Victorian English novels--so inevitably my consideration of big books draws out of the postmodern American (e.g. Underworld) or world classics (e.g. Ulysses or One Hundred Years of Solitude) vategories.

I am trying to decide between some of the following for this summer's big read, and am thinking that I'll even put this up as a poll on the sidebar to the right, so that any well-meaning, bossy booklover, or just bored blog-browser, can chip in his/her two cents:

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon [yes, all these years later, I still--like Norman Mailer--haven't gotten past the damned bananas]
Divine Days by Leon Forrest [this one's a monster at 1400 pages]
Swann's Way by Marcel Proust

Any other suggestions?

No comments: