14 July 2006

The Whining Stranger's Pantheon of Great Heroes and Key Influences

Part 4: Donald Fagen (1948- )



The pride of Passaic, New Jersey; a champion for whiney white pseudointellectuals who want to sound like Ray Charles. A guy with a degree in English literature who plays piano like the great hard bop soloists of the 1950s. His admitted influences include Vladimir Nabokov and Thelonious Monk. He's the greatest thing to happen to American popular music since Cole Porter or Brother Ray himself. An electic, who fashioned original music out of an unlikely bricolage.

Tomorrow I will be wearing his image on my t-shirt as I scream wildly when he takes the stage.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, and I'm a crazed fan? ;-)

The Whining Stranger said...

I'm not a fan. I'm an acolyte.

Big difference.

Liz said...

I think the difference is the flavor of the Kool-Aid.