14 August 2006

Proustian Years in Review: Part 4: 1981



For me, 1981:
  • my first ever taste of chapati, experienced while visiting the Indian family who lived across the street.
  • a handheld General Electric tape recorder that I got for Christmas and which I used to record top hits off the living room stereo, by holding the microphone up to the speaker. (Songs I recorded included Kim Carnes's "Bette Davis Eyes" and Olivia Newton-John's "Physical.")
  • the confetti I helped clean up off my grandmother's rec room carpet, the night that my aunt got married.
  • the communion wafer I swallowed to tick another Catholic sacrament off my checklist.
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark, viewed with my father at a theater downtown.
  • being introduced to Mad magazine by my best friend.
  • die-cast metal "dinky" cars kept in a blue plastic case.

And what, may I ask, was 1981 for you?

1 comment:

Paperback Writer said...

I was five in 1981 so my memories are fuzzy.

I believe my family and I were moving from the townhouses in one end of the town to our house in the other end - in the more *ahem* affluent part. My parents were arguing with themselves whether or not to buy the five bedroom house or stick with the three bedroom house. They bought the three bedroom house. They still have it and my childhood bedroom is still pretty much intact.

Let's see...what else about 1981...I started kindergarten that year. I realized that I was the only Asian in the class and felt very self conscious about it. My grandparents lived with us for the first time that year. Everything else just blends in and becomes fuzzy.

Sorry.