06 September 2006

The Whining Stranger on Books and Reading: We Have a Winner!



Back in July, recall, I issued a summer writing challenge to the writerly readers of this blog. Write a 500-word short story on this theme: For fear that my mother would sell the house before I returned home again, I made sure to write a sentence in permament marker in the closet of my childhood bedroom. I set the deadline as Labor Day. I said there would be a prize.

I've chosen a winner.

First off, though, let's remember who entered the contest:

1. EDW, "It's No Story I Can Tell."

2. Jami, "Permanence Marker."

3. Paperback Writer, "['Writer's Block']."

Secondly, let me say that I really enjoyed reading all three writer's efforts. It's fun to see how different creative people approach the same topic. I like the different styles, and the different approaches. I like how EDW, for instance, takes a perspective you don't expect.

But there can be only one winner, I'm afraid.

And that winner is--

Jami, for "Permamence Marker."

I'm a fan of quick cuts, brevity, non-sequitir prose, and Jami's entry had all of that. And so, Jami, contact me, and I'll send you your prize: a used (I prefer the term "previously loved") of my all-time favorite book on writing, Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones, which I'll send your way from AbeBooks.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Good for Jami. I really liked hers.

Jami said...

WHOOOO HOOOO!!!! I'd like to thank the academy and my agent and the Husband and God and All the Little People. Sniff.

Thanks!

I enjoyed both of the other entries as well, we are all winners.

But me more so.

Paperback Writer said...

Jami - I'm borrowing that from you, just to let you know. ;)

Congrats!

Lyregal said...

I know I'm late to the party, but just because I've missed my old writing classes and love the challenge, I wrote one of my own.

The Whining Stranger said...

Lyregal,
You should send your entry anyway!