24 September 2006

Proustian Years in Review: Part 5: 1987



For me, 1987 was:
  • a white sweatshirt bearing an image of Bill the Cat, which I wore to a football game on Saturday, 3 October, the day before the Tigers clinched the AL East pennant against the hated Toronto Blue Jays.
  • copies of The Beatles' Abbey Road and The Beatles [aka "the White Album"] that I bought in summer with earnings from my paper route.
  • a yellow hardcover journal that I bought at the drug store in the neighborhood, and which began the long string of diaries I continue to keep to this day.
  • a pair of oxblood penny loafers that I wore with my school uniform each day, and with jeans on weekends.
  • paperback copies of Animal Farm, The Iowa Baseball Confederacy, The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz and The Catcher in the Rye, read on the couch in the basement or curled up under the blankets in my bedroom.
  • chocolate cream sandwich cookies and turkey sandwiches made on croissants and consumed with big cold glasses of milk.
  • my beloved beat-up Tiger cap.

And what, may I ask, was 1987 for you?

4 comments:

Paperback Writer said...

1987....

From Volume One/Volume IA2 of my journal - a faded yellow journal:

Monday, September 28, 1987
Journal,
Well, my thoughts are always wondering how I would just love to write something in the paper...Tomorrow I may write but today....

PS
I can't think of anything!

So, to sum up, I was in the fifth grade and I had nothing to say.

Such is!

Liz said...

1987 was...

My first group of friends. I had friends before, but one or two. This was a pack. Out of 8, 1 of them is still my friend today.

The first in a line of many, many boys (and later guys) that I liked because I thought he was smart and deep, and who introduced me to new music. The best part of that "relationship"? The music. :-)

Reading "The Pearl" and "Catcher in the Rye". Feeling smart because I got what other kids had trouble with.

My first mentor of sorts.

Wearing my green United Colors of Benetton rugby shirt I got for Christmas.

Going through my parents' entire record collection by myself, and figuring out the difference between what I liked and what they liked.

Snacks left for me after school with a note from my mom.

Watching "The Monkees" during summer vacation, crushing on Peter Tork (don't ask) and going to see them in concert, minus Mike Nesmith, that summer.

Kat said...

1987:

Footie pajamas; stuffed puffalump; first word; probably some deep psychoanalytical trauma.

Aww, come on, get to the mid-to-late nineties!

Jami said...

'87 was the first time I shaved my legs, because a boy I liked made fun of me for not shaving yet.

It was the summer I read Tiger Eyes and Forever (both by Judy Blume) and saw Dirty Dancing and starting thinking about sex.

It was sneaking half-way down the stairs to listen to Cheers, which everyone was talking about and I wasn't allowed to stay up to watch, though my parents did.

It was Whitesnake, Duran Duran and Madonna, and Timmy Jones singing "Walk Like an Erection" in the band room.

I wore jean skirts and jackets everywhere. I couldn't acheive big bangs, but my mom bought me powder blue eyeshadow and let me wear it to school. I had the collection of the world's largest earrings.

It was a very good year.