03 December 2006

Proustian Years in Review: Part 6: 1999



After re-seeing Kathryn Bigelow's film Strange Days (which takes place around New Year's Eve 1999) last night, I got to remembering what that resonant fin du siecle year had been like for me.

So, as always, let's revisit my madeleines.

For me, 1999 was:
  • tuna sandwiches on crusty rolls and strong coffee, bought from a deli every afternoon on a week-long trip to Germany I made in March.
  • the soundtrack to Bertrand Tavernier's film Round Midnight, a former favorite LP on vinyl, which I replaced in my music collection as a CD in summer.
  • Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, read in paperback over the holidays.
  • Sam Shepard's play Seduced; I played the lead role in a graduate school production in December.
  • my old Gateway 2000 laptop, which proved to be Y2K compliant.
  • Tiger Stadium, which I visited for the last time in September, with my family.

And what, may I ask, was 1999 for you?

2 comments:

utenzi said...

Strange Days was a very good albeit offbeat movie. Fiennes was perfect in his role.

For me 1999 was a transition year between living in Georgia and moving to NC to get a job with a dot com. Too bad that was also when the dot com boom went bust. Oh well.

fishee said...

wow... i can no longer remember how 1999 was for me... but im sure i learned tons.